Chemical filtration is most commonly accomplished by means of activated carbon. The carbon's micro-porous structure absorbs dissolved organics, chloramines, fish odors, toxic metals, toxic gases and growth inhibiting enzymes. We carry the Inland Seas Reef Activated Carbon, Kent Marine Reef Carbon and ESV Activated Carbon.
Phosphate & Nitrate Removers
Besides activated carbon, a wide variety of resins, minerals, and other media have been employed by aquarists in an effort to remove either specific ions like phosphate or a wide range of largely unidentified substances from aquarium water. As you might guess, the Kent Marine Nitrate Sponge removes nitrate, and the Kent Marine Phosphate Sponge removes phosphate. Two Little Fishies PhosBan can be used by itself to remove phosphate, or it can be used in media reactors.
Boyds Chemi-Pure comes pre-bagged inside the jar. All other products need to be bagged using one of the Emperor or South Ocean Five media bags at the end of this section. All bags have ties sewn into the top for easy closure.
Poly-Bio-Marine Poly Filters
The Poly-Bio-Marine Poly Filters are pads that absorb and adsorb contaminants and other toxic materials that are found in nature or added to fresh and salt water with or without fish and invertebrates. Medication added to aquariums for treatment of diseased fish will automatically be removed by the Poly Filter (after serving their intended purpose). The pads are placed in any filter in a place where chemical filtration media is intended (generally, after the larger sediment has been filtered out).
Biological Filter Media
- Hydor Ceramic Filter Media, 600gr. : Hydor Inert Ceramic Cylinders with exceptionally porous surface which provides optimum conditions for high colonization of beneficial bacteria which break down ammonia and nitrite. The unique cylinder design does not obstruct water passage making this media ideal for use with Hydor Prime external filters or percolators for fresh water, reef or marine aquariums.
- Nano Balls by Current USA : With a large surface area/size ratio - Nano-balls out-perform any bioball in the market. You can fit almost four Nano-Balls in the same space it takes to fill one standard bioball. Known as an excellent media for growing bacteria, the small size allows them to be used in almost any type of filter. You can place NanoBalls in a power filter, canister filter, wet-dry filter or even directly into your tank. Each package of 1/2" Nano-balls includes a polyester mesh bag to keep those buggers contained! The large spatial areas inside the bioballs allow more water to flow through the media with ease - keeping it clean and efficient. While other medias clog and channelize, the plastic construction makes them non-clogging and totally inert.
Unlike other plastic media, we made our bioballs negatively buoyant. So instead of seeing them float away, they can be placed in the area of your filter that you want them.
Easy to rinse and clean, they are lightweight and will not degrade over time.
Two Container sizes available:
- Nano-Balls 600 ct. ( 1/2" dia. ) Supports up to 30 gal. aquarium.
- Nano-Balls 1,000 ct. ( 1/2" dia. ) Supports up to 50 gal. aquarium.
- Bio-balls 2.5 gal. (200 ct.) by Won Brothers : Bio-balls are perfect biological filter media for use in freshwater, saltwater wet/dry filter systems and pond filters.
- Bio-Balls 1gal. (225 ct.) by Coralife : Coralife Bio-Balls enable aquarists to maintain large biological loads in much smaller filter areas. The dramatic increase in surface area is achieved by the unique, geometric design of the smaller, one-inch bio-balls.
Chemical Filter Media
- Fritz Super Activated Carbon : Fritz Super Activated Carbon is the best activated carbon on the market today. Only Fritz offers you a blend of two forms of specially processed bituminous activated carbon with millions of macro & micro pore structures in one package.
- ESV Granular Activated Carbon : Granular Activated Carbon based on bituminous coal provides the best combination of pore size, large particle size, high surface area, low ash, and hardness for chemically filtering aquarium water.
- Chemi Pure by Boyd Enterprises : Chemi Pure is a chemical absorption media that safely removes a broad spectrum of organic waste, copper, metal ions, and odors. Chemi Pure also functions as an ion generator and exchange unit that keeps the pH at a safe and constant level.
- Pelletized Scientific Grade Carbon 32oz. by Coralife : Coralife Pelletized Activated Carbon for freshwater and marine aquariums efficiently removes colors, odors, chemicals, chlorine and heavy metals from aquarium water. It is activated by using a unique steaming process resulting in a phosphate and nitrate-free carbon. 32oz. (half gallon container)
- Sera Super-Activ Peat Granulate, 500gr. : Sera Super Activ black peat granulate stabilizes the pH value in the slightly acidic range and creates the correct water conditions for all ornamental fish from Southern America, Western Africa and Asia such as discus, characins, catfish, barbs and anabantoids. Sera Super Activ black peat granulate hinders growth of fungus, bacteria and algae and is perfectly suited to prepare water for breeding fish, also with low carbonate hardness (KH). It releases the valuable humic acids and trace elements well-dosed into the water.
Phosphate Removal Filter Media
- Fritz Phosphate Remover Filter Media : Fritz Phosphate Remover filter media utilizes hi-tech processing to create a unique, superior alumina sponge which rapidly reduces phosphates to nearly zero.
- AquaMedic AntiPhos Phosphate Removal Filter Media : Antiphos Phosphate removal filter media is an active absorbent for the removal of phosphate from fresh and salt water aquariums. Antiphos is based on natural zeolite, which has been chemically treated so that it binds phosphate.
- AquaMedic Antiphos FE Phosphate Removal Filter Media : Antiphos FE is an ideal media for selectively extracting phosphate from aquarium water, helping to reduce and prevent nuisance algal growth. Antiphos FE is a highly active iron based product containing no aluminum and is completely non-toxic to aquarium plants and animals.
- PhosBan Phosphate Removal Filter Media by Two Little Fishes : This granular ferric oxide hydroxide filter media adsorbs phosphates from saltwater and freshwater. PhosBan filter media also adsorbs silicates and dissolved organics. PhosBan filter media Does not leach adsorbed substances. Phosban is a long lasting and easy way to control phosphate levels permanently.
- Magnavore PURA Phos-Lock Phosphate Removal Filter Media : Pura PhosLock filter media is the benchmark German made ferric hydroxide filter media for total phosphate removal in freshwater and saltwater aquarium. Pura PhosLock filter media permanently binds phosphates. With regular use of Pura PhosLock filter media any aquarium fresh or salt, reef or planted,will stay much cleaner and less maintenance labor intensive.
- ROWAphos Phosphate Removal Filter Media : ROWAphos filter media is a completely new filter media for eliminating phosphate. ROWAphos is the professional method of removing Phosphate and Silicate in all types of Aquariums and Ponds. Rowaphos filter media has the largest absorption ability of any phosphate products. ROWAphos filter media is the most effective phosphate remover on the market today.
Mechanical Filter Media
- Bonded Filter Pad by Rainbow Lifegard : Lifegard Replacement filter pad material is bonded to keep its original shape. It has superior filtration with uniform and consistent material and filters all size of particulate matter.
Instructions: Make a pattern out of cardboard or paper to match the size of your filter box opening. Place a pattern on the filter pad material and cut 1/4" larger on all sides for a snug fit. Insert pad into filter Blue side up. For even better filtration, cut 2 pads and sandwich a bed of Lifegard Activated Carbon between the 2 pads.
- Filter Wool Mechanical Filter Media by Sera : Economical filter medium for fresh and salt water aquariums. sera filter wool is suitable for internal and external filters and can be washed out several times. It is very stable and retains particles for a long period without clogging.
Filter Media Bags : Filter Media Bag with drawstring top for convenient usage.