- Great Product! Review by brad
- love apex Review by Jeremy
- Love Love Love this controller Review by Keith
- awesome Review by Anthony
- Great! Review by Josh
- I'm going to keep this short and sweet...the BEST money I've ever spent! (Posted on 1/13/2013)
- Get Peace of Mind Review by Tracy
Of the controllers I researched, the APEX is clearly the best in function, quality and ease of use.
SETUP: My out of box experience was very positive - everything worked as expected and I was pleasantly suprized by the ease of setup and use. If you get a Ph probe be sure to buy calibration solution (7 and 10). My probe was off by .3 but calibration is very simple.
HUMAN INTERFACE: Having worked with other controllers I was expecting an awkward human interface but the APEX is a delight. The web client is user friendly although it has a tendency to lock up. The lock up is recoverable by closing the browser. The email function is well done and easy to setup. It is capable of sending text messages to your phone when certain events occur. There are two improvements: the flashing of the control display when you change menu items is annoying and the selection of icons really do not represent the uses - I would like to see shapes that more closely represent the function. However, the ability to customize the display more than makes up for these very minor shortcomings.
The display module is nice and dazzles visitors but is really not necessary with the robust web interface. I really like the ability to review status, trend charts, and securely control my aquarium from my smartphone and ipad anywhere in the world - how cool is that!
CONTROL: The control functions of this system are exceptional once you understand the concept of outlets. The ability to program event detection and action is well done and very flexible using BASIC like commands. I have been able to achieve +-0.25 degree temp control and my pH is flat-line. The ability to control heaters, dosing pumps and reactors is dead on with feedback from sensors. I would have liked a little more flexibility with pump controls specifically 12VDC with a little more current for certain pumps and LED control. As it is you have to use an external controller if you want a wavemaker or moon light. (At least with my existing hardware)
OUTLETS: Having both relay and TRIAC controlled outlets is a real plus. APEX has achieved the right mix of outlets types and controls at a very good price. They have a great selection of add-ons to build your system if you need to. My basic system with temp, Ph and ORP is perfect for my 120 gallon setup. I am controlling main lights, heater, refugium light, skimmer, recirc pump, 2 powerheads, air pump, 2 dosing pumps, top off system, and moon light.
SAFETY: The system has well thought out fall back and power fail features. While not related to this product, please make sure you have ground fault outlets to your aquarium - electricity and water do not mix.
OVERALL QUALITY: The quality is first class. The construction is solid and well done. I gave this product 4 out of 5 stars because of the display flashing and web interface hangs, other than these minor and correctable items it is fantastic.
OVERALL VALUE: Priceless. This controller will save you time and protect your investment. It will also give you peace of mind because it will communicate to you if something isn't right. (Mine is on a uninterruptable power source with my network router and modem). I don't know how I lived without it. (Posted on 10/12/2011)
- Apex System Rocks!! Review by koddyVT
- I would highly recommend this controller to aquarium enthusiasts of all skill levels. There are several detailed guides on the internet that will help you get the controller setup. You can do things as simple as monitoring temperature and pH to automating endless amounts of routine aquarium maintenance. Thanks Neptune Systems!! (Posted on 8/30/2011)
- A must have great Product Review by Mystic
- Automate a lot of routine tank maintenance stuff .. I am doing Auto top-off and Auto Saltwater changes . Great product can do a lots of things .. (Posted on 5/17/2011)
- AWESOME Review by kcp
- Amazing unit saves on money program everything to come on and off at different times by control of temp or pH. everything is program how i need it work awesome.. (Posted on 3/29/2011)
- Excellent Controller Review by James
I switched to this from the ReefKeeper Elite, and it is a far better controller. Setup up is very easy, computer connection was literally plug in the Ethernet and type "apex" on web browser.
Service and communication is fantastic from Neptune, emails are answered the same day usually in less than a hour. They are far more aggressive in getting new products out, ie Vortech control.
Go with this controller, you will be happy. (Posted on 10/27/2010)